Entertainment & Events
Del Mar Racetrack’s Opening Week is Full of Celebration
The highly anticipated Del Mar Racetrack summer season is quickly approaching. Thousands of fans are expected to head to the track for Opening Day on Wednesday, July 18. Fans can bet on the nation’s most prestigious Thoroughbreds, enter Del Mar’s annual Opening Day Hats Contest and celebrate in style at The Party.
The entire season is expected to be full of high-end fashion, exclusive parties, great music and thrilling races.
The Del Mar Summer Concert Series is back and bigger than ever – with 13 concerts that feature top artists across all genres. British alt-rock band, The Psychedelic Furs, will be kicking off the concert series on Friday, July 20. Prior to the concert, guests can enjoy half-off prices on Del Mar’s signature cocktails or sip on an exclusive Saint Archer small-batch brew unique to Del Mar Racetrack during Saint Archer’s Happy Hour Friday from 2-6 p.m.
The party doesn’t stop on Friday night. On Saturday, July 21, racetrack visitors can listen to their favorite songs from leading reggae band, Iration, while sampling burgers and craft brews from some of SoCal’s top breweries and burger establishments at Burgers and Brews. Saturday also marks the start of Family Saturdays and Daybreak at Del Mar. The fun continues into Sunday with Family Fun Day and Jockey Photo Day on July 22.
Other highlights of the Del Mar racing season include weekly food and drink specials and exclusive access into the Turf Club.
- The Party – Wednesday, July 18, attendees receive the VIP treatment in the Seaside Cabana tent located at the west end of the Grandstand. The Party guests receive exclusive access to the Red Bull Tour Bus complete with world-class DJs, a LIFEWTR muralist and lounge, craft beer and cocktail bars, photo booths, private wagering and a stellar performance by Sully and the “Blue Eyed Soul Band.” Tickets are $35 per person and include Stretch Run admission and exclusive access to the cabana. Gates open at 11:30 a.m. with first post at 2 p.m.
- Opening Day Hats Contest – Wednesday, July 18, guests can participate in the Opening Day Hats Contest for a chance to win a $5,000 cash prize! The hat contest includes the following categories: Best Racing Theme, Most Glamorous, Most Outrageous, Best Fascinator and Best Flowers. Sign-ups will be held in the Plaza de Mexico from 11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Saint Archer’s Party in the Plaza–Friday, July 20, guests will receive half-off all of Del Mar’s carefully-crafted signature cocktails and enjoy a special Saint Archer small-batch brew unique to Del Mar Racetrack during Happy Hour Fridays from 2 – 6 p.m.!
- The Psychedelic Furs– Friday, July 20, the Del Mar Summer Concert Series lineup starts with a performance by the British alt-rock band, The Psychedelic Furs presented by SD Toyota Dealers. The band will take the Seaside Stage after the last race. Racetrack guests will receive free admission if they enter before 6 p.m. Concert admission will cost $30 after 6 p.m. All concerts are 18+.
- Burgers and Brews – On Saturday, July 21, guests can enjoy a day filled with craft beers from San Diego’s top breweries and unlimited samples of the city’s most mouth-watering burgers at Burgers and Brews. Burgers and Brews is open to all ages.
- Iration – Move and sway to the sounds of award-winning reggae band, Iration, when they take the stage on Saturday, July 21 presented by Pacifico. Their smooth blend of rock and reggae are the perfect way to step into summer. Iration will perform shortly after the last race. Racetrack guests will receive free admission if they enter before 6 p.m. Concert admission will cost $30 after 6 p.m. All concerts are 18+.
- Family Saturdays – Saturday, July 21 marks the first weekly Family Saturday at Del Mar Racetrack. Every Saturday from 1 – 6 p.m., the Infield will be lined with several free attractions for families to enjoy, including pony rides, a game zone, face painters, a giant obstacle course and more!
- Family Fun Day – Sunday, July 22 is Family Fun Day at the Del Mar Racetrack. The infield will be packed with fun, free attractions that the whole family can enjoy, including pony rides, a bungee trampoline, Albion SC soccer clinics, a rock climbing wall, face painters and much more! Admission is free for children under 18.
- Jockey Photo Day – Sunday, July 22, racing fans will be able to meet the incredible athletes that make up Del Mar’s jockey colony. Fans are invited to take a photo, get an autograph and chat with their favorite jockeys from 12-1 p.m. in the Plaza de Mexico.
- Daybreak at Del Mar –Saturday and Sunday, July 21-22, the Clubhouse Terrace Restaurant will welcome early risers from 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. Fans will be able to dine and watch morning workouts while learning behind-the-scenes details from horsewoman and racing broadcaster Michelle Yu. There is no charge for admission, but a $10 parking fee applies.
- Taste of the Turf Club – Sunday, July 22, fans can enjoy the mouthwatering menu of one of San Diego’s most celebrated chefs, Brian Malarkey, at the exclusive Turf Club. Seats are $100 per person and include Turf Club seating for the race day, Turf Club admission, choice of appetizer, entree, dessert and bottomless mimosas, Del Marys or Chandon. Tables are limited.
Racing at Del Mar happens Wednesday through Sunday with the exception of Closing Day on Labor Day Monday (9/3). First post daily will be at 2 p.m. First post on Fridays will be at 4 p.m. with the exceptions of August 24 and 31 when the first post is 3:30 p.m. For more information, call 858-755-1141 or visit their website.