San Diegans dominate at X Games Fifteen in L.A.
While the Chargers and Padres may dominate the professional sporting landscape in San Diego, one area that seems to get left by the wayside is the major action sports community in San Diego, which exists all over the county but is mainly concentrated around the North County Coastal region.
There were quite a few San Diegans who made the trip up to Staples Center in Downtown L.A. and the Home Depot Center in Carson to both participate and watch X Games Fifteen over the course of last weekend. The Men’s Skateboard Vert competition is especially notable, as all five of the finalists were from San Diego County.
Here are some of the notable results from San Diegan athletes:
Lyn-z Adams Hawkins (Cardiff-by-the-Sea)
- Gold in the Women’s Skateboard Vert competition
- Third 1st place finish in this event at the X Games
Jake Brown (Oceanside)
- Won the Skateboard Big Air competition, his first ever gold medal in the competition’s history (won silver twice, bronze once)
- Conquered the mega-ramp at Staples Center, the same one that nearly ended his life two years ago.
Andy MacDonald (San Diego)
- Bronze in the Men’s Skateboard Vert competition
- Silver in the Skateboard Park Legends competition
Jeremy Stenberg (San Diego)
- Silver in the Moto X Freestyle competition
Nate Adams (Temecula)
- Bronze in the Moto X Freestyle competition
Rune Gilfberg (Leucadia)
- Gold in the Skateboard Park Legends competition
Pierre Luc-Gagnon (Carlsbad)
- Gold in Men’s Skateboard Vert competition
Bucky Lasek (Olivenhain)
- Silver in Men’s Skateboard Vert competition