Summer Seafood Recipes
Today marks the official first day of summer, so break out the swimsuits and fire up the grills. Well… let’s be honest, it’s always summer in San Diego. We can all agree – we are pretty lucky. Another thing San Diegans are spoiled with is an abundance of seafood…really fresh seafood. If you can’t get enough ocean eats, check out these summer seafood recipes for your next gathering.
Salmon Poke Bowl
Courtesy of Tajima
Serving Size: 2
- 6 oz. sushi-grade salmon, cut into small cubes
- 4 tbsp poke sauce (available at Asian specialty stores)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp green onion, diced
- 2 tbsp white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp Oroshi Ginger
- 2 tbsp Masago (the eggs of a small fish known as capelin)
- 4 tbsp seaweed salad
- 6 – 8 thin slices of avocado
- 2 tbsp tempura crunchies
- pinch of Kizami Nori, for garnish
- sesame seeds sprinkle, for garnish
Ingredients for rice:
- 2 cups short grain Japanese rice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Mahi al Mango Taco
Courtesy of City Tacos
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 oz. of spinach
- 2 oz. of apricot vinaigrette
- 8 oz. mahi mahi filet
- Sprinkle of curry powder
- 2 oz. caramelized pineapple
- 2 oz. pickled onion
- 2 oz. mango cream sauce – combo of mango dressing, lime juice and mayonnaise
- Heat a pan on the stove, on medium heat, and add olive oil
- Cover mahi-mahi filet with curry sauce and cook in pan until done (3 – 4 minutes on each side)
- Divide mahi-mahi filet into four and place in flour tortillas
- Add spinach, apricot vinaigrette, pineapple and onion
- In a small bowl, mix together mango dressing, lime juice and mayonnaise until combined.
- Drizzle each taco with the mango cream sauce
Southern BBQ Shrimp
Courtesy of Louisiana Purchase Culinary Director, Quinnton Austin
Serving Size: 2
Ingredients for sauce
- 2 cups Crystal Hot Sauce
- 2 cups Worcestershire sauce
- 7 cloves garlic
- .5 cups whole peppercorns
- 7 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 cup blonde ale
- 2 lemons
- .5 lbs. soft, salted butter
- .25 cups heavy cream
Ingredients for shrimp
- 12 jumbo shrimp, tail on head on for Southern-style
- sliced andouille sausage (add more or less to your desire)
- Combine equal parts hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce with garlic, peppercorns, rosemary, salt and blond ale in a pan on medium heat. Squeeze the juice of two lemons and toss peel into the mixture.
- Reduce to low heat.
- Strain and return to heat.
- Whip in butter and heavy cream until mixture is thickened.
- In a separate pan, add jumbo shrimp.
- Sauté with desired amount of sliced andouille sausage, salt and pepper (for taste) and a splash of blonde ale.
- Take pan off heat once cooked.
- Pour the prepared sauce into the pan with shrimp and let simmer while pan is still hot.
- Pour shrimp and sauce combination over pasta, grits or cornbread.