Last Minute 4th of July Desserts
If you’re throwing (or attending) a 4th of July party, this holiday is the perfect excuse to get creative and make some great patriotic themed desserts. It’s always fun to see what clever ideas people come up with to incorporate some red, white, and blue into their dishes. We’ve found a few simple dessert recipes that will be a hit at any festive party this July 4th.
It’s amazing what a simple bag of red, white, and blue M&Ms can do for a party on the 4th of July. The classic color coated candy can make almost any dessert seem festive, but adding them to a recipe for patriotic s’mores bars feels like a perfect festive twist on a summer campfire tradition.
Red White and Blue S’mores Bars
1 package of Oreos, crushed into fine crumbs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk
7 graham cracker squares (just enough to create a layer in your pan)
3 – 8oz ounce bars of milk or semi-sweet chocolate (2 will be chopped and 1 melted)
4 cups mini marshmallows
Approx 2 cups Red, White and Blue M&M’s
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Take a 9×13 and line it with tin foil (This is a new trick that I’ve learned for brownies! It makes cutting them so much easier. You can just pop the brownies out from the pan! No more having to deform the corner brownie to cut and remove them.)
3. Crush the Oreo Cookies into fine crumbs. Combine the crushed oreos with the cube of melted butter. Press the oreo mixture into the bottom of the 9×13 pan.
4. Pour the sweet condensed milk over the oreo crust.
5. Break up the graham crackers and chocolate bar and sprinkle them over the sweet condensed milk. I personally prefer Milk Chocolate, but it’s totally up to your preference.
6. Sprinkle the mini marshmallows all over.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Red White and Blue Dipped Pretzels
If you like to create simple but artistic goodies for your guests, red, white, and blue dipped pretzels are the way to go. All you’ll need is some candy melts and pretzel rods (and sprinkles, if you want to get really fancy).
-Red, white and blue candy melts (can be found at Michaels or similar stores)
1. Start with the white melts. Melt in the microwave according to package directions.
2. Dip two thirds of the pretzel rod in the white. Lay out on parchment paper or cooling rack with wax paper underneath. Allow them to dry.
3. Next you will melt the blue candy melts. Dip the top third of the white section in the blue. While the candy coat is still wet, sprinkle the white sprinkles. Allow to dry.
4. Finally, melt the red candy melts. Pour melted red candy into plastic baggie. Cut the corner of the baggie and drizzle over the white section (This makes the pretzel rods look like the red stripes on an American flag).
And viola! A super easy, 3 ingredient dessert that is sure to get a lot of compliments!
Red White and Blue Mini Cheesecake
Cheesecake is always a decadent favorite, and these patriotic mini cheesecakes will steal the show! These easy-to-make mini cheesecakes with natural red, white, and blue colors are the perfect for the holiday. This is a quick, simple dessert recipe that looks and tastes like a million bucks.
1 & ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup & ¼ cup white sugar, divided
¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 – 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
¼ cup blueberry jelly
¼ cup strawberry jelly
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place baking liners in a muffin pan.
2. In a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, ¼ cup sugar, and butter. Spoon crumb mixture into each muffin liner. Using the back side of a spoon press down firmly, creating a crust at the bottom of each liner.
3. In a standing mixer or using a handheld mixer, beat cream cheese on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup sugar, flour, and vanilla. Beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Spoon into muffin liners on top of each graham cracker crust.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cream cheese is set. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing. Transfer to refrigerator. Serve chilled.
5. Melt blueberry jelly in the microwave or on stove top, stirring occasionally. Immediately spoon melted blueberry jelly onto the top of 6 cheesecakes. Repeat using strawberry jelly.
6. Garnish with blueberries and strawberries.