Facebook Status Trends for 2010
Through 2010, Facebook studied our status trends and came up with this list of the Top 10 Trends we updated our profiles with all year long.
1) HMU: This phrase ranked highest on the list, and do you know what it means? I do now…”Hit Me Up”, which (I understand) means in short phrase, “I want to hang out with you, like, now!” Looks like people really wanted to hang out this year and found this simple acronym to do the trick!
2) World Cup: Being the worldwide sporting event of 2010, Facebookers wanted to root about it too this summer. Lars Backstrom, a data scientist at Facebook reports, “At key moments over the course of the games, as many as 50 percent of all status updates were related to them. So big was this event that we collaborated with the New York Times to track mentions of every player in the games.”
3) Movies: Movies were mentioned in general but the top the top five discussed over Facebook updates were: “Toy Story 3,” “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” “Inception,” “Alice in Wonderland” and “Iron Man 2”.
4) ipad and iphone 4: Apple garnered “over 25 million bragging, lusting or the occasional condemning posts during the year,” per Facebook studies regarding their 2 new devices.
5) Haiti: Facebook became a global beacon of communication during the January earthquake in Haiti. One minute after the quake hit the country, updates were posted, many from the Dominican Republic, where posters felt the quake from afar. Just one day after the quake hit Haiti, international Facebookers were talking about it at a peak rate of 1,800 posts per minute.
6) Justin Bieber: The 15 year-old soul-singer was the only artist to top the Facebook Trend List this year. His website shares that, “after posting dozens of homemade videos on YouTube in 2007, where the multi-talented Bieber put his impeccable spin on songs from artists like Usher, Ne-Yo and Stevie Wonder, Justin racked up over 10,000,000 views purely from word of mouth” and 3 years later, word of mouth is still working for him!
7) Facebook Games: was the next most-posted with FarmVille’s “barn raising” phrase topping this category. (Do I need to say anything more about this one?)
8) Mineros/Miners: The world was watching and updating those 69 days as each of the 33 Chilean miners were pulled to rescue from the desert mine and as Facebook study reports in graph-like tale, people were paying such close attention to the rescue efforts “that when we zoom in to look at posts during the rescue, we see 33 unique spikes in activity—one for each of the rescued miners.”
9) Airplanes: Not that the world just found out about this celestial travel option, but Facebook friends were excited to share about their trips and vacations this year as well as the hit song “Airplanes” by B.o.B.
10) 2011: Next year ends this Facebook Trendy list with posters planning away for a fresh, new year.
And The San Diego Entertainer celebrates 2011 with you, wishing you and yours a Happy and Blessed New Year!
Photo from benstein via Flickr