News

Ryan Mathews – San Diego Chargers new RB

By  |

In the last NFL draft on April 22, the San Diego Chargers took a big risk and swapped 16 players, one of which is running back Ryan Mathews, who also happens to be their only pick from the draft’s top 90.

Although the Chargers had to cough up some big bucks for their new running back, they feel that they made the right decision and are confident that Ryan Mathews has the potential to be really, really good. He’s adept as a complete back and has no medical issues or history– so that’s a good sign.

Ryan Mathews was a junior at Fresno State before getting drafted to the San Diego Chargers.  Mathew, at 5’11.5 and 220 pounds, averaged 6.6 yards per carry and scored 19 touchdowns last year. You can see his full stats here. Mathews seems to be the whole package, and then some. Colts president Bill Polian says, “He’s a complete back. He’s got great speed. He can break tackles. He can make you miss. He’s got vision. He can go all the way. He blocks and he catches.”

In regards to all of the rumors that the Texans were going to draft him, Mathews was glad that he ended up with the Chargers instead. “All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything,” said Mathews. “I’m lucky and blessed that [the Chargers] traded up and picked me. I’m super-excited. It’s mind-blowing that they did that.” The feelings are mutual too– “When you see this guy play, you’re going to understand why we made the deal we did,” said Chargers coach Norv Turner. “He’s extremely special. A complete back. Physical. Fast. He’s got great feet, great vision.”

Turner says that he’s as excited for Mathews to join the team as he was when the Chargers drafted Tomlinson from Texas Christian University in 2001. Tomlinson is Mathews’ hero, and he even wore #21 at Fresno State — the same number as LT. Chargers’ director of player personnel even said that the two have similarities in playing-style. That’s exciting to hear, especially since LT is now with the NY Jets.

Check out Ryan Mathews’ highlights from 2009 below.

What do you think, San Diego? Did we make a good decision in drafting Ryan Mathews? Does he have what it takes to fill LT’s big shoes?

*Photo by Steven Bartholow

20 Comments

1. Michael

April 30, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Glad the Chargers took him before he could fall to the Texans. We didnt want that loser anyways. What kind of MAN or player says he was scared to get drafted by an NFL team. To me that speaks volumes about what kind of mental fortitude this KID has. HAHA. Watch Mr. Mathews your gonna wish you were playing for the Texans when Brian “Crush” Cushing gets ahold of your whiny baby ass!!!

2. Gabriel

April 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Well Michael your wrong your just all butthurt that the chargers got him… I think your the cry baby tha wanted him on the texans

3. JPsmasher

April 30, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Boy was scared of being drafted by the Texans? LoL See you in Week 9 scaredy cat!! don’t wet ur pants.

4. Michael

April 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Gabriel
    You will see that he is over rated once he starts playing. I never wanted im for our team and I am pretty sure neither did our Front Office. It was all smoke and mirrors to make you guys either trade up with us or trade up way to high to take the kid. # 12 overall give me a break we were going CB no matter what. We got the guy we wanted in Tate who comes from a real conference and played against real talent.

5. Jeremy

April 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I can’t wait to see Brian Cushing destroy this fool….

6. HK

April 30, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Maybe Bernard Pollard will snap him like a Tom Brady appendage.

7. Jeff

April 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm

As far as I’m concerned, his comments are rather ironic because I was afraid the Texans were going to draft him, too. I feel blessed that the Chargers foolishly traded up to grab this kid. I feel he is grossly over rated and his comments regarding the Texans are at best unprofessional. Nevertheless, I wish him all the luck he deserves in San Diego. We will see him November 7th at Reliant Stadium and I’m sure Teans like DeMeco Ryans, Brian Cushing, Mario Williams, Bernard Pollard, and Zac Diles will be more than happy to teach him to be a bit more polite in the future. Pleasant dreams Ryans Mathews.

8. Texas Haters: Protest Too Much?

April 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Wow. Pass the haterade.

I think you Texass trolls protest too much.

9. Fat people live in TX

April 30, 2010 at 11:25 pm

HAHA Mathews shouldnt get decent numbers versus the Texans, because by the 3rd quarter the Chargers will already have a 40 burger hung, and they’ll be working out the 3rd string back or one of the FBs.

10. Michael

May 1, 2010 at 1:27 am

I am a little overweight…… not fat 😉 Oh and I lived in San Diego for 4 years and trust me your women cant hold a candle to the women in TEXAS. If you were even slightly familiar with the Texans you wouldnt be so sure of that “40 burger”.( whose the fat ass talking about burgers). We will see, I love it the season has not even started and here we are talkin shitz. I like the chargers, but you just cant hold a candle to the talent that resides here in Houston.

11. justwait

May 1, 2010 at 6:40 am

You guys are talking out your butts. I’ve watched this kid for years. LT in his prime? No way. Potential to be a top 5 back in the NFL. You’ll see in the next 1-3 years, maybe sooner.

12. Jeremy

May 1, 2010 at 8:49 am

We got our guy… Compare the competition Mathews faced, with the competition Ben Tate faced in college. I’m very happy with our pick, and am very confident the Texans brass never had plans to pick Mathews in the first place. I think Mathews will in time be a good back for you guys, and I can’t really knock him for wanting to stay in state where he played college ball. As others have said, the feeling is mutual… Mathews and Brian Cushing will meet, he can count on that!!

13. Waaambulance

May 1, 2010 at 11:32 am

Poor kid!!! He is just confused! He should have been scared to face the Texans D!

14. Smith

May 1, 2010 at 11:34 am

Weird… he should be shouldn’t have been scared the Texans would draft him. He should be scared now that he opened his mouth and insulted another NFL team that he has to face THIS SEASON!

I bet Mathews has “Flu-Like Symptoms” come game day against the Texans.

15. trouble

May 4, 2010 at 2:40 am

texans fans or any of the head people wouldnt know real talent if it hit them in the mouth. for them to not get ryan is telling you alot of wear their franchise is going and thats nowhere.yall suck. so once he runs all over the texans and your weak linebackers are tired tired and out of breath well see whos overrated. texas football aint got nothin on cali. whos this tate kid (never heard of him) i dnt care where he played ball 3 years and done for that kid. texans are weak got no chance in the south.ryan touches the ball ben tate doesnt thats all that needs to be said. so go ahead ryan show these punks what a beast can do to a defence.

16. Rivers Deep!!!

May 4, 2010 at 3:27 am

Ryan Mathews will be running all over the Texans. You guys can’t play football, besides the Cowboys rule Texas. 41-21 Da Boltz!!!

17. Rivers Deep!!!

May 4, 2010 at 3:37 am

Ohh yeah, Rivers 327 yards passing 3 td’s. (Crowd starts leaving early 4th quarter.)

18. vincent

May 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

mathews will break cushings neck with a stiff arm

19. Michael

May 17, 2010 at 11:05 am

WOW! Stay Classy San Diego.

20. Illegals live in San Diego

May 23, 2010 at 10:08 am

All of you have a way over inflated view of the Chargers. The only reason they make it to the playoffs is because they play in the worst division in football. Yall never fail to crumble against real competition in the playoffs. Where as we will be ready to play those elite teams when we get there. The Texans will win a superbowl before the Chargers do.