Entertainment & Events
4th annual AimLoan.com San Diego Blues Festival this Saturday & Sunday
Hear some folks singing the blues while helping other folks to not sing the blues at the AimLoan.com Fourth Annual San Diego Blues Festival. It’s all this weekend, September 6th and 7th. Boogie on over to the Embaradero Marina Park North, plunk down some coin for tickets, and you will be donating to the San Diego Food Bank, run by Jacobs & Cushman.
The event will be held at 500 Kettner Boulevard, in San Diego. Tickets are $25 for a daily pass (Saturday or Sunday), $35 for both days, $100 for daily VIP and $150 for VIP for the whole show. Along with purchasing tickets, attendees are asked to voluntarily donate two cans of food to the Jacobs & Cushman Food Bank.
For more information, including the many benefits of the VIP tickets, visit sdbluesfest.com or call 619-863-5142. Parking and shuttle service is $3 each day at the Petco Park Tailgate Park, located at Imperial Avenue and 14th Street.
In 2013 the affair was able to provide more than $120,000 to the Food Bank. This more than doubled the 2012 amount, and organizers are hoping for a similar increase this year. More than 5,500 lbs of canned food were collected last year, which helped to feed more than 300,000 folks all around San Diego County.
This is the first year of having a two-day jam, and the promoters are very pleased with the lineup assembled. Here’s the rundown:
Saturday, September 6, 2014:
* Candye Kane * 1:30 p.m. * AimLoan.com Stage * Local San Diego blues queen and inspiration cancer-survivor *
* John Primer * 5:30 p.m. * AimLoan.com Stage * This well-traveled well-liked blues legend waited until 1992 to release a CD of his own, but he spent a lot of time before that playing on albums with the likes of Muddy Waters, Magic Slim and Willie Dixon *
* Elvin Bishop * 6:45 p.m. * Sony Online Entertainment Stage * You probably remember his hit single from 1976, “Fooled Around and Fell in Love”. Elvin is better known in the blues community as an understated vocalist, and underrated blues guitarist *
* Bishop John W. Haynes & Change * 2:30 p.m. * Sony Online Entertainment Stage *
* Lazy Lester *& The Bayou Brothers * 3:30 p.m. * AimLoan.com Stage *
* Eric Burdon & The Animals * 6:45 p.m. * Since 1964’s “House of the Rising Sun” Burdon, still raging at 73, has mixed blues and rock with a blue-collar intensity that has made him a well-deserved legend of both genres *