Shrimp, Summer Melon and Arugula Salad with Toasted Almonds and Mint Recipe
Summer is almost here so let’s cook light and eat up. This refreshing dish will invigorate the senses, and please the most discerning palates with a summertime blend of produce and protein you can find locally harvested and sold at area farmers markets and farm stands.
And what’s not to like about recipes that are homegrown, delicious, nutritious, heartily satisfying — and are also served up in the finest culinary establishments of The Napa Valley?
By Cakebread Cellars, enjoy this light salad created for the fine-tuned palette and enjoy with a glass of Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blancup.
Shrimp, Summer Melon and Arugula Salad with Toasted Almonds and Mint
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 lb. large prawns
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 strips lemon peel
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled
- 1 tsp. chili flakes
- 1 T. salt
- 6 ounces arugula, washed and dried
- 2 heads Belgian endive, chopped
- ½ Charentais, Cantelope or other orange fleshed melon, rind and seeds removed
- ½ cup Marcona almonds, chopped
- 2 T. mint, roughly chopped
- 3 T. lime juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a boil with the vinegar, lemon peel, bay leaf, chili flakes and salt. Add the prawns and remove from the heat. After 3 minutes, drain and spread prawns out on a platter to cool. When cool enough to handle, peel, devein and reserve.
2. Combine the arugula and Belgian endive in large mixing bowl. Cut the melon into one-inch pieces. Add to the salad green, along with the prawns, almonds and mint.
3. In a small stainless steel bowl, combine the lime juice, honey and shallot. Whisk in the extra virgin olive and oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour enough of the dressing over the salad to lightly coat. Gently toss to distribute the dressing. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
Special thanks to Napa Valley Culinary Experts for this tasty treat! For more information on The Napa Valley and its culinary traditions and offerings, please visit http://www.legendarynapavalley.com.