Chilled Soba Noodle Salad with Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit in Wasabi-Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
Try this Asian fresh salad for a spicy swith-up from your traditional summer salad. The spicy Japanese wasabi paste gives the Wasabi-Lime Vinaigrette its unique flavor. Tart lime and grapefruit, rich avocado, and savory shrimp complete the picture of a perfect main course salad.
And, don’t forget that you can make the noodles a day ahead, just keep them covered in the fridge before mixing them in when you are ready to serve.
Try this recipe from“The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy” and let us know what you think.
Chilled Soba Noodle Salad with Shrimp, Avocado, and Grapefruit in Wasabi-Lime Vinaigrette
- 12 ounces soba (Japanese buckwheat) noodles wasabi-lime vinaigrette
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 1 medium hass avocado (the kind with bumpy black skin), peeled, pitted, and diced
- 4-6 radishes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 green onions, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked, peeled shrimp
Cook soba noodles according to package instructions. Drain in a colander, rinse well with cold water, and drain thoroughly. In a large bowl, toss the noodles with about 1⁄4 cup vinaigrette.
Using a sharp knife, cut the peel, including all the white pith, from the grapefruit and then cut the segments of flesh from the membranes and set on a double layer of paper towels to drain.
Divide the noodles among 4 serving plates. Top with the avocado, radishes, cucumber, green onions, and grapefruit sections, dividing evenly. Pile a quarter of the shrimp on each of the 4 salads. Drizzle vinaigrette over the salads to taste, and serve.
– For a more decadent salad, replace the shrimp with the sliced meat from 2 lobster tails.
– For a lighter salad, replace the noodles with 6 cups of mâche or other delicate salad greens.
Special thanks to Robin Donovan and Juliana Gallin, authors of “The Lazy Gourmet: Magnificent Meals Made Easy” for this delicious recipe.