Conan O’Brien’s New Show Airs on TBS Tonight 11pm
After Conan O’Brien’s quick exit from NBC this past January, O’Brien joins TBS tonight at 11pm for the debut of “Conan,” his new late-night show. Conversations with NBC regarding contractual updates and Conan’s decision to not allow his newly acquired “Tonight Show” to be pushed past midnight gave him the boot and Jay Leno back the show.
On a May 2, 2010 “60 Minutes” interview with Steve Kroft, Conan talked about the near 30 million severance deal that was meant to suffice this untimely divorce with NBC and the comedy tour he was currently on.
Although Conan agreed that the NBC decision to let him go was motivated by money, it was clear that the speed and manner was hurtful and shocking to the late-night show host.
Ending the “60 Minutes” Interview, the on-tour Conan sang (to the tune of “I Will Survive” originally performed by Gloria Gaynor)
“They threw me out –
It happened fast.
They said, ‘ Please don’t let the door hit your freckled Irish a–.’
I hung around the house eating frosting from a jar, I got really into ‘Gossip Girl’ and sleeping in my car.
Yes I’ll survive, I will survive!
Yeah they kinda tried to kill me, but I made it out alive.
I’ve got all my life to live, I’ve got so many jokes to give –
I will survive.”
Conan told Kroft, “It’s crucial to me that anyone seeing this take…I’m fine. I’m doing great. I hope people still find me comedically absurd and ridiculous and I don’t regret anything. I do believe (and this might be my Catholic upbringing or Irish magical thinking) but I think things happen for a reason.”
And if you are looking for a reason to watch “Conan” tonight on TBS, here O’Brien gave EW.com (Entertainment Weekly) five good ones:
1. “There may be a cash giveaway. And I repeat may.”
2. “Late in the first show, I’m choosing a second wife — someone who’s independently very wealthy, so if I go through this kind of bulls— again, I’m really well taken care of. I mean, I’m talking about someone with hundreds of millions of dollars, because then I’ll really walk the walk.”
3. “You’ll get to see whether I kept the beard or not. And I don’t think I’m self-centered, but I think it’s more important to America than this election.”
4. “Reuniting Led Zeppelin is a goal of mine. I didn’t say it was going to happen. We’re either going to reunite Led Zeppelin, or a Led Zeppelin tribute band that hasn’t worked together in six years.”
5. “You’re going to see me slowly resent Andy less over the course of the first year on the air. Because you know it was him that f—ed up. I was doing fine before he came back to reunite the magic. I think people will love to watch a guy slowly start to forgive somebody over the course of 150 shows.”
Visit http://www.teamcoco.com/, the Official site of Team Coco & Conan O’Brien, to find out more.