Happy Random Act of Kindness Day
It’s Random Act of Kindness Day! Recognize the aptitude of short and meaningful moments everyday, but especially today. Whether you donate to a cause you are passionate for or buy a 3-dollar coffee for the person behind you at the Starbucks drive thru, your kindness will contagiously inspire people to follow your example. Here are some ways you can show your kindness to others.
- Give someone a compliment – Say, “you’re beautiful,” “you’re independent,” “you make me laugh,” “you’re intelligent,” and “you would make an amazing mother or father” to someone you care for or just met. Be sincere in your tone and smile from ear to ear and patiently wait for their surprised and appreciative face to brighten.
- Call someone in your family, and make sure to tell them you love them. Near or far. – Even if you haven’t spoken to your family in over a year, today is the day to change that for the better. Even if you are swamped with work, calling someone is memorable and will speak volumes to your family. The sound of your voice will make your Mother, father, Aunt, or cousin reminisce on cheerful memories you’ve shared. If your family is across the country and there is a time difference, leave a voicemail message with loving and thoughtful words.
- If you’re an Amazon customer, donate money to a U.S. nonprofit through Amazon
Smile. – With Amazon smile, you can shop and Amazon will give to nonprofit organizations across America like American Red Cross and Operation Smile. Amazon will proudly donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible Amazon smile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. There is an option to toggle back and fourth through various organizations or you can pick your own charitable organization to donate too.
- Open a door for someone, and don’t forget to smile while you do it. – When you enter your place of work, open the door for your co-worker. When you leave your favorite coffee shop, open the door for the perfect stranger right behind you. This simple act of kindness will convince others to do the same in the future.
- Write someone a handwritten letter. – The power of the written word is limitless and more meaningful than a measly text message or e-mail. The effort that goes into a handwritten love letter shows your significant other how much you care for him or her because they can eternally cherish it.
- If you see a tourist, take a picture for them. – At times, San Diego natives forget to appreciate the Pacific Ocean, Balboa Park, the Zoo, and all the landmarks, because they are simply mainstream considering we see them everyday. When you are living in San Diego’s perfect weather conditions and the big blue ocean is your backyard, it’s easy to forget some people are actually visiting Mission Beach for the very first time. Some people might even be feeling the sand in between their toes for the first time today. If you see tourists, take a picture for them so they can remember your gorgeous hometown for the rest of their lives.
- Put a coin in an expired meter. – No one wants a ticket in downtown San Diego, but especially not on National Random Acts of Kindness Day. Ensure today is a free of tickets in exchange for kindness.
- Let a fellow driver merge into your lane. – Since it’s going to be rainy this weekend, it is important to be extra careful on the road. Not only will letting a fellow driver merge into your lane be an act of kindness, it will also ensure safer roads.
- Support our troops and donate to Soldiers Angels. – Soldier’s Angels provides aid and comfort to men and women of all branches of the military. In donating online to
Soldiers Angels, you can support the people fighting for your country. Every dollar counts. Make today count.
- Be kind to yourself. – The most challenging feat of each day is maintaining positivity when work or school seems like an everlasting downward spiral. Today, make a list of your accomplishments and focus on them. As trite as it might be remind yourself, “I am living in San Diego, the best destination in the world. For that, I am lucky.”
Each of these random acts of kindness will take from 5 seconds-20 minutes and take minimal effort, but the power of these moments are immeasurable. Happy National Random Acts of Kindness day from SD Entertainer!