Poway teen missing – Chelsea King search efforts continue
News of Poway teen Chelsea King’s disappearance on February 25 has spread quickly. 17 year old King, a member of Poway High School’s cross country running team, went for a run on Thursday and did not return.
According to reports, King often runs in the Rancho Bernardo Community Park. The park lies on the southern shore of Lake Hodges and includes trails that weave through hills and connect to Lake Hodges.
Search crews were dispatched last night and today the search continues. San Diego County search teams have enlisted special canine units to aide in the search and boats have been brought north to assist in the search on Lake Hodges.
Rancho Bernardo-area residents have been contacted and alerted to report if they have seen the teen. In this time, we ask that all members of the San Diego community remain alert. Anyone with information on King is asked to report to the sheriff’s department (858) 565-5200) or the county Crime Stoppers (619-531-2000). King is white, around 5 feet 5 and 115 pounds, with blonde hair and blue eyes.
Anytime someone goes missing, residents of San Diego should be on high alert. Times like these remind us to stay alert and take proper safety precautions.
Every day thousands of San Diego residents enjoy running or walking on the hundreds of trails our city has to offer. While running outside is far nicer than hitting the treadmill, there are far more risks. Please be careful and head this advice:
- Run outside during daylight hours, especially if you’re alone. At night, wear reflective clothing and always run with a partner or in a group.
- Always run in familiar areas, or areas with other runners and hikers.
- Refrain from running with headphones. If you must, keep them at a low volume or in one ear so you can be aware of your surroundings.
- Carry an ID, emergency contact information, and a cell phone with you.
- Buy and carry pepper spray
- Take a self defense class
- Always trust your instincts. If you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, seek refuge as soon as possible.