News

Fire damages Cane’s Bar & Grill in Mission Beach

By  | 

Photo from 'Juice Stain is my contact' via Flikr

Photo from 'Juice Stain is my contact' via Flikr

If you thought the dance floors got hot at night clubs, watch out for the kitchens. Cane’s Bar & Grill, a Mission Beach club and bar, suffered $2 million in damages from a grease fire that destroyed one third of the roof.

The fire originated at 11:15 pm in an exhaust duct, but quickly spread into 10 foot flames from the top of the building. No one was injured thanks to a doorman who alerted the 650 customers to evacuate the bar. Firefighters extinguished the flames within 15 minutes, but continued to stabilize the situation by searching for hot spots in the walls and roof.

A local resident of the area stated that the outside was covered with smoke, and ash and embers wouldn’t stop falling from the sky. Eek-A-Mouse, one of Jamaica’s top Reggae stars, was set to perform right before the blaze took place. But the show went on for him and his fans when he quickly relocated to the Sandbar Sports Grill later that night.

Owner Eric Leitstein told the Union-Tribune, “Dealing with loss of revenues will be hard.” The bar was set to kickoff four weeks of sold out concerts, marking the most successful time of the year for Cane’s. However, Leitstein has spoken to contractors and is optimistic to reopen in a few weeks.

Cane’s, known for its ocean views and live music, will be under construction for the following month. So, if you had your heart set on a frosty drink next to the ocean breeze, you’ll have to try a new place along Mission Beach’s coast.

1 Comment

  1. Lelah Aprill

    February 2, 2011 at 4:32 am

    Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This article provided by you is very constructive for accurate planning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com