Lifestyle

E-Cigarettes: the e-volution of smoking, or just another e-vil habit?

By  |

ecig1Smoking cigarettes legally has become more and more difficult, especially in the U.S., and even more especially in California. Are electronic cigarettes now a viable alternative? Not if the California State Senate has its way.

Manufacturers, sellers, and users insist e-cigs represent the future of nicotine use. They say  the electronic sticks are less expensive, less of a health concern and do not have the distasteful smell of cigarettes. In addition, there is no second-hand smoke nor tar, carbon monoxide, ash or carcinogenic additives involved. They don’t even contain tobacco.

An e-cig cartridge delivers a dose of nicotine equal to a cigarette. Add to this that each one retails for under $2, yet can be “smoked” for as long as a full pack of old school cigarettes. Most buyers should reduce their yearly cost by around $1,000. More than 700,000 people in the United States have become “vapers”. They would like to have the word “vaping” replace smoking.

Currently, regulations controlling where tobacco smoking is allowed do not apply to e-cigs. However this may soon change here in California.

On May 28, 2013 the California Senate Judiciary Committee on Health voted to forward SB 648 for a vote of the full state senate. This bill will include electronic cigarettes in all current bans, ordinances and regulations that now apply to cigarette, cigar and pipe smoking. The legislators have stated that since the e-cigs have not been proven to be safe, they must be included in the tobacco laws.

Opponents of the bill counter with the notion that no tobacco is involved, and nicotine is provided via water vapor, not smoke.ecig2

However an ongoing research study in Germany may disagree with that claim. The study suggests that what is exhaled from e-cigs is not only water vapor, but also contains measurable particles of nicotine and a compound used in theatrical fog-making devices, propylene glycol. There are some people who are allergic to propylene glycol.

To see an article concerning this topic, from the International Journal of Indoor Environment and Health, go to “Does e-cigarette consumption cause passive vaping?” .

8 Comments

1. Robert Monroe - Halo Cigs

May 30, 2013 at 11:32 am

The article is right with people on both sides. There is no tobacco, tar, or smoke present with e-cigarettes. E-liquid contains propylene glycol, glycerin, or a combination of both. Also there are flavorings and additives paired with them to make specific flavor combinations. Lastly, liquid nicotine is added at the strength you desire per milliliter of e-liquid. Some people will be allergic to propylene glycol so it is best for them not not have contact with it. Since you are inhaling these components of e-liquid, it cannot all be absorbed into the lungs so some probably remains in the exhaled vapor. The exhaled vapor does dissipate after about 11-12 seconds.

Robert Monroe
    Halo Cigs

2. John

May 31, 2013 at 11:13 am

Nearly 18 months ago, I received my electronic cigarette in the mail. At the time I was smoking 2 packs of cigarettes per day and suffering from numerous health problems including high blood pressure and high cholesterol. After 25 years of smoking, I had smoked my last cigarette that day.
    E-cigarettes may not be completely safe, but I owe my health and my life to them. The day I ordered my e-cigarette, I began a blog to chart my progress. If you would like to view it :
    mrelixir.blogspot.com

3. 365 day loan review

June 24, 2013 at 1:41 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like
    you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home
    a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A great read.
    I’ll certainly be back.

4. pevonia green coffee body wrap reviews

September 17, 2013 at 7:08 am

It’s amazing to go to see this web site and reading the views
    of all friends about this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting experience.

5. Mick Wright

September 20, 2013 at 1:03 pm

The way that they state “also contains measurable particles of nicotine and a compound used in theatrical fog-making devices, propylene glycol. ” would lead one to believe that passers by could inhale the nicotine and it would harm them. Firstly that not possible. Secondly that level of nicotine be harmful to a wasp let alone a human.

Next, yes e-liquid had MPG or Propylene Glycol as an ingredient… its absolutely safe according to the WHO, MHRA, FDA and the fact that its used in foodstuffs and manufacturing worldwide.

The simple facts of the matter when all the science is done ( and its been done) is that the e-cig phenomena has now got simply millions upon millions of users worldwide.

So far in the 6 years of sales not a single person anywhere in the world has suffered from any health issues… thats lower than the incidence of health issues from any foodstuff you’d care to mention… even according to the general laws of probability one person somewhere should have had some sort of allergic reaction to the colourings or flavouring or something… but because the Tobacco Companies and Pharmas are trying so hard to shut the industry down companies like mine are being super careful in manufacturing our products.

That means they are safer than almost anything else on the market… I also sell zero mg e-liquid and its so safe you could drink it without any problems… obviously the nicotine variety would immediately give you indigestion… thats one of the properties of nicotine… but the safety of these products is not any more in question. Which is why those seeking to curtail their rapid expansion are now moving on to other nonsense like sale to minors, or they should be classified as a medicine or anything , anything at all to hold on until some miracle arrives that will allow them to continue to sell sticks of tobacco that kill consumers.

These tobacco industry folks need to be arrested not listened to as lobbyists… they are murderers and a day will come when they are carted off to face charges of genocide.

6. telemannco.com

November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am

Excellent post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on this topic?
    I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit
    more. Thanks!

7. http://barleigh.com

December 19, 2013 at 8:36 am

For latest information you have to pay a visit internet and on
    world-wide-web I found this web site as a best web page for most up-to-date updates.

8. Dolly

December 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I usually do not leave a lot of responses, but i did a few searching and
    wound up here E-Cigarettes: the e-volution of smoking, or just
    another e-vil habit? | San Diego Entertainer Magazine.
    And I do have a few questions for you if it’s allright.
    Could it be only me or does it look as if like some of the remarks
    appear like they are written by brain dead folks? 😛 And, if you are posting on additional online social sites,
    I would like to keep up with everything fresh you have to post.
    Could you make a list of every one of all your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter
    feed, or linkedin profile?