The Exercise Flu: Daily health tip
There has been a lot of talk about the flu shot these past few weeks! Are you trying to decide to get one or not? It is important to make your decision based off your own individual case, consulting your doctor and taking your personal beliefs into account. There are plenty of great articles on the web about the flu shots, so do your research.
I reminded my Spinning class today that while exercise is healthy, it is a form of stress and does challenge the immune system. If you are going to work out during flu season and with the dry air we have been having, make sure you are being extra healthy!
What is healthy??
1. Get a lot of sleep! The flu all comes down to how healthy your immune system is and rest is your best defense!
2. Eat healthy. Consume fresh fruits and vegetables, fish, nuts & whole grains. Every color of the rainbow, EVERY DAY!
3. Take a vitamin & mineral supplement with antioxidants, especially if you do not eat perfectly every day.
4. Exercise appropriately, do not over-do it! Pilates, Yoga or a walk outside are great options to keep it light!
5. Keep your stress levels down emotionally. Take some time to breathe and relax each day. Avoid getting into arguments with family, friends or co-workers.
6. Keep a balance of fun, health & try not to worry so much about what the media is saying. If you are concerned about catching the flu, than you probably will! Know the difference between those that are trying to cause fear to make money and those that really care!