Entertainment & Events
OB Street Fair & Chili Cook-Off this Saturday, June 23rd
The Ocean Beach Street Fair and Chili Cook-Off officially kicks off this Saturday, June 23, 2012 at 10:00am. The event is a longstanding OB tradition and this year is set to impress yet again.
This year’s street fair is going to be bigger and better than ever, featuring an additional stage, laser tag arena, 150 foot water slide, 3D street drawing and a second community mural art project to honor Ocean Beach’s 125th Anniversary.
There will be live music on 6 stages, entertainment, unique vendors, talented artists, rides, beer garden, and more. It’s a completely free festival and great for the whole family. This year, representatives for the street fair are excited to announce that Saratoga Park will be home to Equinox Laser Tag and the Giant Water Slide as well.
The 3D street drawing is going to be an event hightlight, so don’t miss it. San Diego was chosen as 1 of only 5 cities that will receive the Coors light sponsored 3-D artwork this summer. Each of the 3-D art designs are specific to the city they will be painted in. San Diego’s artwork will be located at 4900 Newport Ave between Bacon Street and Cable Street.
Other event attractions include:
- Chili Cook-Off—Winners will be announced from the main stage at 4:00p.m.
- Beachside Beer Garden & Spirits featuring the ‘Best Bloody Mary’ contest & the Pizza Port limited edition ‘OB 125th Anniversary Pale Ale’
- Food vendors and local restaurant fare
- Two Community Mural Art Projects
- Artists Alley
- Wonderland Children’s Area
- Unique handcrafted merchandise: clothing, accessories and more
- Skateboard Exhibition from Ocean Beach Surf & Skate Shop
- ClimbIt Wall
- Raffle with prizes from more than 20 local businesses
- Bike Valet
More than 70,000 visitors are expected to attend this year, so it is advised that you take one of the free trolleys which will be running near the entrance to Robb Field and from Sea World Drive at Pacific Highway (just off 1-5) from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
The street fair runs along Newport Avenue (4800 – 5000 blocks), along the waterfront and in the Pier parking lot in Ocean Beach.
For more information, visit the fair’s website.