Entertainment & Events
October events at Reuben H. Fleet
It’s October: Autumn leaves are falling (okay, not from the palm trees, but, you know…), football’s in full swing (Go Chargers!), trick-or-treat’s around the corner, and the Space Museum has some tricks and treats on tap for the Fall.
* Drink In the Science * Thursday, October 16, 6:30-9:30 p.m. * Come party with the Fleet at The Science of Spirits: Craft Cocktails on Thursday, October 16, 6:30-9:30 p.m. San Diego’s top cocktail makers will be mixing up libations and providing a behind-the-scenes look at the science of their craft! Tickets available online or at the ticket counter. *
* Suds & Science: Genetic Ancestry Testing * Monday, October 20, 7-8 p.m. * Enjoy a pint and learn about your genetic ancestry at our next Suds & Science event! This month we meet at Wang’s North Park to hear a talk from Lynn Jorde from the Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, and Charmaine Royal of the Center on Genomics, Race, Identity & Difference, Duke University. They’ll discuss the scientific basis of genetic ancestry testing and its implications for our concept of race. *
* What’s Your Genotype? * Saturday, October 11, 12-3 p.m. * Saturday, October 11, is DNA Day. The Fleet hosts scientists from the Salk Institute and UCSD to lead fun workshops on DNA extraction and genetic history. You’ll be amazed by how much science is available at your fingertips. Free with gallery admission. *
* Halloween Family Day * Saturday, October 26, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. * Balboa Park is full of fun on Halloween Family Day. At the Fleet, kids five and under can make Pasta Skeletons in Kid City. Inventors and mad scientists of all ages can create Frankentoys in the Tinkering Studio. Kids 12 and under get free gallery admission with paid adult admission (limit two kids per adult). *
* Teacher Open House * Thursday, October 9, 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. * The Fleet invites teachers to join us for a fun and informative evening just for them. Visitors will have an opportunity to explore the exhibits, take part in hands-on activities and learn about the new educational programs we’ll be offering this year. Catered refreshments will be provided. RSVP now! *